25 Jan 2020

Carbon Monoxide Detectors Save Lives

AZ Perfect Comfort installs carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors in your home or business.

What is carbon monoxide (CO) and what does it mean for us here in Arizona?
CO is an odorless gas that is found in fumes produced any time fuel is burned. When CO builds up in the air, your body replaces oxygen in your red blood cells with carbon monoxide which can cause the following symptoms: headaches, fatigue, dizziness, weakness, nausea or vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision or loss of consciousness.

Here in Arizona it is common to have gas burning furnaces and gas appliances in our homes. For those homes with gas burning appliances, the occupants should make sure there are working carbon monoxide detectors in the home. They should be placed somewhere where the alarm will awaken anyone in the home near the bedrooms and on every level of your home. CO detectors should be tested monthly and be replaced every five years.

Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips:
• Install carbon monoxide detectors inside your home as an early warning signal of rising CO levels.
• CO monitors are not smoke detectors, however, there are some products that function as both CO and smoke detectors.
• Test CO monitors monthly.
• Have a safety inspection of your gas heating system, water heater and any other gas appliances inspected by a qualified service technician yearly.
• Never bypass safety features on gas appliances and furnaces.
• Make sure gas appliances are vented properly. Horizontal vent pipes should angle slightly upwards. Never patch a vent pipe with tape or other materials, do not drill holes into vent pipes.
• Have your chimney checked or cleaned yearly. When using a fireplace, open the flue for adequate ventilation.
• Never burn charcoal or portable propane fueled camp stoves indoors.
• Never use portable generators indoors or in your garage.
• If you leave your vehicle running in your garage, make sure all access doors to your home are closed.
• If the alarm sounds, move to an area with fresh air and call for help. Remain in the area with fresh air until your home has been cleared by emergency personnel.

Contact us at 602-789-3000 for more information or to schedule a safety check up for your furnace.