Your Phoenix AC Replacement Guide
If you are on the fence between Phoenix ac replacement or just a repair, we know it can be a hard decision to make. But if you are facing another scorching Phoenix, AZ summer, spring is a great time to make the decision so you can get ahead of Murphy’s Law and avoid an unfortunate air conditioner breakdown on the hottest day of the year.
Should I have a whole new AC system installed in my home or keep up with the continual maintenance of my existing air conditioning system? Will I save money if I get a new energy-efficient air condition system? At AZ Perfect Comfort, we specialize in air conditioning and heating systems, and we get these questions all the time. Our Phoenix-area customers rely on the expertise of our team of certified AC installation technicians to give them all the information they need to make an informed decision.
So, we’re sharing everything you need to know about AC replacement in Phoenix, AZ, including how long you can expect your air conditioner to last, how to know when it is time to take the plunge and replace your air conditioning system, the best air conditioners for Arizona, and more.
How long should an air conditioner last in Arizona?
Although the national average lifespan for an air conditioner is about 15-20 years, we don’t have to tell you that here in Phoenix, AZ, our ACs get put through a lot more than many other parts of the country. 10-15 years is pretty typical, but when your air conditioner approaches the 7-year mark, you may wish to seriously consider a replacement.
Why so soon? Your old AC could be costing you 20-40% more in energy costs than if you replaced it with a newer, energy-efficient AC. Plus, by this time–especially in Arizona–it’s likely that your AC’s maintenance needs are starting to increase. From a cost and time perspective, you just might be better off replacing it.
Of course, there are many factors that play into how long your AC system lasts including:
- How often you maintain your AC
Scheduling regular maintenance on your heating and cooling systems will keep minor issues from turning into major ones.
- The size of your AC unit
ACs that are too large are constantly turning on and off, while air conditioners that are too small are running all the time. Both put excessive stress on your AC, increasing the likelihood of repairs and maintenance
- Your Temperature
When the mercury soars above 110 and you keep your home at 75, you are tasking your AC with cooling it by 35 degrees. Dropping your thermostat even lower than that puts extra pressure, causing your air conditioner to work even harder.
When is it time to replace my air conditioner?
There are certain signs to look for that may tell you an AC replacement is going to be your best bet. They include:
- Your air conditioning system is 7-10 years oldYou could be literally throwing money out the window if your AC is old and inefficient. Plus, an air conditioner that doesn’t run efficiently probably isn’t cooling effectively, either. While you weigh the pros and cons of AC replacement and repair, go check the age of your unit. It might help you decide more quickly.
- You’re constantly repairing itAt some point, your air conditioner is just going to wear out. And if you are limping it along by constantly maintaining it, it just might be time to replace it. Consider how often and how expensive your AC maintenance repair bills have been over the last few years to help you make the decision.
- Your home isn’t cooling properlyThe whole reason you have an AC is so your home can be cool and comfortable at all times. Not just some of the time and not just in certain rooms. If it’s not doing its job, it’s time to seriously consider replacing it.
- You have humidity in your homeMoisture in the home can add up to big problems. And quickly. If you are battling humidity in your home, it means your AC isn’t working properly. When an air conditioner is doing its job, it’s pulling the heat and moisture out of the air in your home and replacing it with cool, dry air. Humidity can be a sign of a poorly functioning AC or leaky ductwork.
- Your AC is noisyA loud air conditioner is more than a nuisance, it’s a sign of problems with your AC. Depending on the noise it’s making, which can range from banging and clanging to squeaking and squealing, even screeching and screaming– yes, screaming–you could have any number of things going on. Causes of a noisy AC could include loose belts, an out-of-balance part, loose debris in the unit, or a refrigerant leak (this is the one that causes a high-pitched screaming sound).
What is the best air conditioner for Arizona?
Phoenix, Arizona heat is a special kind of hot and you certainly wouldn’t want to gamble on an air conditioner that won’t keep up with it. You can view our full range of products here. Our team of certified technicians are skilled and trained to work on all brands, including Amana, American Standard, Bryant, Burnham, Carrier, Friedrich, Goodman, Janitrol, Lennox, Luxaire, Magic Chef, Maytag, Payne, Peerless, Raypak, Rheem, Ruud, Tempstar, Trane, Utica, Viessman, Weil McLain, York and more!
Cost to Replace a New Air Conditioner in AZ
The cost to replace a new air conditioner in Arizona depends on the size of your home, the type of air conditioning system you choose, and whether you need any ductwork, insulation, or other work done, as well.
Regardless of the size of the overall project, we know that replacing your air conditioning system can represent a large portion of your annual home improvement budget. That is why we offer convenient financing, with approved credit on qualifying equipment. You can rest assured that your family’s comfort and health will be taken care of this summer without breaking the bank.
With AZ Perfect Comfort AC financing, you can take advantage of:
- Convenient payments
- Flexible financing options
- Online account management
If you are still unsure if you need to repair or replace your air conditioner, call us at AZ Perfect Comfort. We will come to your home, prepare a detailed estimate, and help you weigh your options. Contact us today!
Once we know how much cooling power your home needs, we’ll work with you to find the right air conditioner to suit your cooling load and budget. We carry a range of air conditioners to fit different price points, and we’ll help you compare the short-term and long-term costs of each. With the right air conditioner in hand, we’ll install it in your home, making sure it meets the manufacturer’s specifications as well as state and local codes. You’ll be set up with effective cooling for years to come.
Air Conditioner Repair and Maintenance
Losing your air conditioner in the midst of the summer heat is more than an inconvenience: It can threaten your family’s health. That’s why we at AZ Perfect Comfort are here to provide the top-notch air conditioning repair Phoenix residents need. Our technicians will come to your home, give you a detailed estimate and, if necessary, help you compare repair and replacement options before beginning work. We’re proud to say we can resolve most air conditioning issues in a single visit.